Minor Home Repair
The Minor Home Repair Grant Program is to provide assistance to low and extremely low income elderly or disabled homeowners to make essential repairs or add structural accessibility modifications when owner-occupant lacks sufficient resources or their own. The Minor Home Repair Grant does not have to be repaid; however, it cannot exceed $5,000. An applicant can re-apply for assistance after the 5 year affordability period has been met and if program funds exist.
The grant can be used for the following repairs:
- Electrical Hazards
- HVAC Repairs
- Plumbing Repairs
- Replacement of Natural Gas Line
- Replacement of Sewer Line
- Water Heater Replacement
All requests are accepted on a first come, first served basis. In cases where the physical defects are determined to pose an immediate danger to the occupant, the appropriate actions will be initiated immediately to address the situation.
All program applicants must meet the following in order to participate in the program:
- Must be a resident of Garland
- Must have a Warranty Deed establishing ownership of the property. Contracts for Deed are not eligible
- Must have a current picture identification and an original Social Security Card
- Must have lived in their home for one year and be using it as their principal resident
- Must be 62 years or older or disabled and receiving Social Security disability benefits if claiming disability
- Must be willing to provide verification of income on all family members residing in the household which includes:
- Social Security Income
- Pension Income
- Employment Income
- Retirement Account Income
- Other Household members Income
- Must verify that all cash on hand does not exceed the limits for the program
- Must provide information on all assets held and their disposition
- Must be income eligible, read more on Income Guidelines
Homeowner signs the Grant application that includes an affidavit indicating they agree not to sell their home within the affordability period of five years. The sale, exchange, or conversion of the use of said property within a five-year period, will require the applicant to reimburse the City of Garland Community Development Department the grant amount in full.
Access the application package (PDF).