Deferred Disposition


Deferred Disposition is an option that will keep your citation from being reported as a conviction on your driving record and will be dismissed if all terms required are successfully met. If any requirements are not met and you cannot provide a satisfactory reason why you did not complete these requirements, your probation will be revoked, you will be found guilty and a conviction will be reported to the Department of Public Safety.

Not all violations are approved for Deferred Disposition. If you have multiple violations, you may only request Deferred Disposition on one case. YOUR VIOLATION MUST BE CLASSIFIED AS A MOVING VIOLATION.


You are not eligible for Deferred Disposition if:

  • The citation alleges that you were speeding in a construction zone when workers were present.
  • The violation was for failing to stop & leave ID at an accident.
  • A speeding violation exceeds 24 miles over the posted speed.
  • The violation occurred while passing a stopped school bus.
  • You have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) even if the violation occurred while you were driving a private vehicle.
  • You have a provisional driver's license. 
  • All juvenile defendants who are under 17 years of age, cannot obtain a deferred disposition online. You must come to court with your parent.  A Court hearing notice will be mailed to you.
  • You have been granted deferred disposition or deferred adjudication in the State of Texas within the last 12 months.

How Do I Make a Request for Deferred Disposition?

  • If eligible for a deferral, you can submit a request NO LATER than the first scheduled hearing
  • Online: see button below
  • In person: 1791 W. Avenue B. Garland, TX 75042 
  • By Mail: Include a written request for Deferred Disposition; Copy of driver’s license; Citation number; and provide a good mailing address.
  • Upon receiving your request a Clerk will mail an instruction letter & application back to you. Please mail the completed application along with payment back to the Court at the above address. 
  • To obtain payment amount, contact Court Clerk at 972-205-2330.
  • Request can also be put in drop box (Located on the outside of the Court Building).