Electrical Repair / Meter Base Upgrade

Helpful Resources

Homeowners who: 1) own the home, 2) live in the home, and 3) homestead the home through the Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD) may pull a Homeowner's Affidavit and complete the repairs themselves if they feel confident in making the required repairs. Homeowners must provide a copy of a current driver's license which reflects the address you are trying to permit. (If you have recently purchased the home, please call our office at 972-205-2300 for alternatives to this requirement.) This department will verify with DCAD via their website that a homestead exemption exists for the permitted address. If there is no record of a homestead exemption, the homeowner must provide a copy of the executed homestead exemption from DCAD.

If the homeowner is unable to produce the required documents stated above, a State licensed electrician registered with the City of Garland must be hired to take out the permit.

Rental Properties

If the property is rental property, a State-licensed electrician who is registered with the City of Garland must complete the repairs. No exceptions.

Garland Power & Light

If your utility company is Garland Power & Light (GP&L) and you've taken out a permit, and while completing electrical repairs you wish to upgrade your meter base, the City Warehouse will provide you with a new meter base free of charge. You must show your permit to the staff member assisting you in order to obtain the meter base. The City Warehouse is located at:
1720 Commerce Street
Garland, TX 75040

Phone: 972-205-3400